Sunday, March 19, 2017

February 2017

February was a busy month full of snow, rain, Dave gone on travel, lots of basketball games and practices, piano lessons and lots more.

Gold Panning:
Ty is obsessed with panning for gold.  Uncle Mike gave him a gold pan in November and Ty has been dying to go find gold.  When the snow finally melted (late February) and it was nice enough to be outside Nick and Ty went out to find gold in the garden.


Basketball:

Jack played in a tournament with his team.  One night they had a free throw shooting contest.  Each team picked a player to participate and Jack was picked.  He won out of all the kids in his age group.  I think he made 5 shots.

Ty had lots of rec league basketball, coached by Dave and by Drew Florence when Dave was out of town.


Sleeping:
Nick and Ty have been waking up at around 3:00 every night and coming into our room.  Ty thinks that his bed is "as hard as a board" and would rather sleep on the floor than in his bed.  Dave was out of town so I let both boys sleep in sleeping bags on my floor.

Second Dinner at Wendy's:
Jack played in a tournament and had an evening game on Friday.  As a reward for Nick making it through the whole game happily (almost) we went to Wendy's for second dinner since Dad was out of town.  Frosties, fries and chicken sandwiches.

Preschool Field Trip:
I taught preschool for four weeks in February.  We learned about making choices and trying new things.  On our last day we went on a field trip to Fresh Pick's.  They got to try lots of food, fruit that they sell in the store, bread and jam, and got to pick ingredients to put in their own smoothie.

Nick, Isaac Mohlman, Micah Taff, Tyson Taff (Micah's little brother) and Gabe Wolfey
Nick gives these looks sometimes at preschool.

Temple Wednesdays:
I went to the temple two different weeks on Wednesday morning while Nick went to "houses".  We swap babysitting every Wednesday so we can go to the temple often.



Show What You Know:
The 5th graders had to do a report, presentation and visual presentation about a person in history.  Jack did Robert Oppenheimer as a nod to Los Alamos.  He practiced his presentation a lot at home and did great when presenting it in class.

Photo bombers
House Improvements:
Dave tore the drywall off around the windows in the living room in preparation to frame them.  We are anxiously awaiting our blinds to be hung since we don't use the living room/dining room much at night because there is no privacy.

Dave discovered that we have wood floor under the carpet on our stairs!!!  We ripped it off and haven't missed the carpet at all!

Jack and Ty gave their class smarty-pants valentines that we made like last year.  Ty came home with a full-size candy bar after his class party with tons of other treats and trinkets.  

Jack had to make a monster box for Valentine's day and with a write up of step-by-step instructions of how to make it.  

We hosted preschool on Valentine's Day.  The boys traded Valentine's and decorated sugar cookies.

Computer Lovers:  These kids love to play the computer and beg daily to play.  Ty can't play until he practices the piano each day.

Snow:
This is what our yard looked like February 15th.  Finally melting and can see grass!

Middle School Basketball:


We have beautiful sunrises.

Health:
I got the stomach flu.  School ended up being cancelled because of freezing rain, which was a blessing.  Kate took care of Nick while I layed on the couch.  Laura Zettlemoyer took all four kids to Get Air (the trampoline park) and took Kate to her piano lesson.  Rachel Mohlman texted me and told me that she was bringing dinner at 5 (so glad she didn't ask and just did it because I have a hard time saying "yes!").  Dave had to take the boys right to piano lessons after work so they were happy to have beef stew, homemade bread, cinnamon honey butter, salad and apples waiting for them when they got home.  Lots of blessings!  I spent the whole day reading a book, watching many episodes of Flip or Flop on HGTV, throwing up (once, but it was the first time in YEARS) and sleeping.  
Kate let me use her fuzzy blanket she got for Christmas.

I went to the doctor because of some pain in my lower groin and a lump that would come and go.  We thought it might be a hernia, but after an ultrasound discovered it wasn't.  I've discovered that it's probably something digestive and it hurts sometimes badly after I eat.  Trying to figure out what triggers it.

Kate, Jack, Ty and I all went to Dr Good (our eye doctor).  Jack got a new prescription for his contacts.  Ty's eyes are good.  He is a bit nearsighted but can see fine without glasses.

Selfies:




Rescuebots:
Nick started playing with Rescuebots all the time.  He hadn't been really playing with toys much, but discovered that he likes Rescuebots.  He even shared them really well at preschool and when we had friends over.  It was a small miracle for him!

Trips:
On a Tuesday evening Dave flew to Arizona and bought a 2014 Mazda 6 from a private seller.  He drove to Utah and spent a few days working at his parents house.  He had a meeting the U on Friday.  Saturday he went skiing with Norm.  Then he drove home Sunday.  

The following Tuesday Dave flew out early morning to DC and came home Friday.

Church:
We had a teacher training during Sunday School.  We had priesthood preview one Sunday for the two boys turning 12 this year.  I did sharing time once for Angie who was out of town.

We had Stake Conference and Elder Zeballos of the 70 came.  Dave was out of town, so I went to the adult session by myself.  The kids and I went to our church building and watched the broadcast while Kate stayed home sick.

Places we went:
Nick and I went to book club at Valerie Kunde's house.  The book was "The Robe" but I hadn't read it.  Enjoyed talking to Valerie and her mother-in-law (who is my friend, Juli Miller's aunt).

Kate got a haircut for the first time in months.  I also took her shopping for new Sunday clothes at the mall.  We got matching striped Sunday shoes at Target.  Her feet are size 8.5 now!  Mine at 9,5

Nick and I watered Mrs. Vasa's plants while she was in India for 6 weeks.  We also got to start her hybrid car every week too.  Nick prayed for her all the time in his nightly prayers that she'd come home safe.  I told her that and she loved it.

Snow Days: 
No School, Feb 9th (I was sick with stomach flu)
No School Feb 15th Freezing Rain (took the kids swimming at the court club)

Kate got to go to the Pixie Dance.  A youth dance for the three wards in our building, ages 12 to 18.  The youth in our ward were assigned a pixie (someone they were supposed to do something nice for as a surprise before the dance).  Kate was assigned George Cicotte.  She dropped no-bake cookies off at his house on a freezing rain night (we skated to his house).  She was a little disappointed when she found out his family wasn't eating sugar.  Kate received a pot of pretty flowers that were delivered by a teenage boy.  Her pixie was Owen Childers.  They danced with their pixie at the dance.  

We had Lincoln and Millie Davenport come play several times while their siblings were at school.  Their mom, Gina was finishing up her pregnancy with twins.  

Kate participated in a youth choir organized by Jim Mohlman.  She was disapointed when the night before Stake Conference she threw up so she couldn't sing with the choir.  They are preparing for an Easter concert in March.

We went out to dinner after Jack's basketball game at Casa Mia (using a gift card from Jon Lemire's parents since he stayed with us a few days while they went to work during snow days).  I loved the butternut squash ravioli.  The kids were not impressed with their too cheesy pizza that smelled like hot dogs.

No comments: