Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Gilman Tunnels

Veteran's Day was a great holiday at our house this week.  Kate didn't have school and Dave didn't have work.  We went on a drive in the Jemez Mountains by our house with our friends, the Nye's.

We drove about an hour and then stopped and had a picnic lunch.  It was pretty cold.  I thought it was funny that the kids were freezing while they ate and then after a few minutes of running around they were throwing their coats off. 

After we ate we drove to the Gillman Tunnels which were pretty close.  The Gilman Tunnels were blasted out of rock in the 1920's to allow logging train access along the rushing Guadalupe River gorge.  (I just learned that from googling "tunnel near Jemez Springs, NM". 

I took this picture as we were driving towards the tunnels.  You can see both tunnels.

The Guadalupe River Gorge right by the tunnels.  Our friends said that people kayak down this sometimes (crazy people, I think).



Can you hear us yelling STOP to Jack and Craig?  




While we were driving toward the tunnels Dave spotted this huge, nasty spider crossing the road.  He wanted to put it in our cooler to show to our friends, but I convinced him that we should just take a picture of it. 
Gotta love New Mexico!

5 comments:

suzi said...

What a fun trip! And that spider is soo nasty! I couldn't have let it in my car either. Dead or alive! I've loved catching up on your posts, your kiddos are DARLING!

annelisa said...

Okay, that spider is creepy! I can't believe you got that close!

annelisa said...

PS You look great in those pics Jenny!

Tasha said...

YUCK! that spider is creepy! Loved the basketball clinic to!

Wendi said...

Ew. That spider is nasty. The tunnels were really cool though. There are so many things that I wish we could have seen while we lived there. Shannon says, "Like that tarantula!"