Sunday, November 1, 2015

Halloween 2015

Halloween was fun this year.  It was much different from our "Halloweekends" in Los Alamos for the last several years.

I didn't even think about costumes until the start of Halloween week.  Kate and her friends had plans to dress up as nerds.  She spent some of her bread money on suspenders and a bow tie.


I saw an idea for Jack online and made his mask and shirt on Friday while he was at school.  Finished just in time for the ward carnival that night.  I thought I'd just use an extra white tshirt that we already had and paint some stripes on it and iron on some prisoner numbers.  The painting took a little longer than planned, but Jack loved it.

Ty was happy to reuse his Yoda costume from last year.  He did ask me to make his ears perk up so he "didn't look sad."  I ran out of time and he was happy being Sad-Eared Yoda.


I wasn't sure if Nick really understood the costume concept.  He wore a dinosaur Old Navy top to run errands with me on Friday morning, but didn't want to put it on later.  I went outside to take pictures of the kids before the ward carnival and Nick yelled that he needed a costume.  So we went to the dressup box and I started handing him hats and giving him options.  He was happy with the cowboy hat.

Watch out for these two!  They're very much alike, for better or for worse.
Friday after school, Kate had a Halloween recital at her piano teacher, Angela Jacobson's house.  She left early to go to the ward carnival with Claire.  Nick fell asleep on the way home from dropping Kate off at the recital (it was for piano students only).

Friday evening we went to the ward carnival at the church.  Kate took her friend, Claire.  Jack took his friend, Jack, and our neighbor, Jon.  I didn't get a picture of the boys.  But the lots of the girls planned to dressup as nerds.  They were pretty cute!  
Claire Zettlemoyer, Kate, Audrey Good, Kaylee Memmott, Brianna Brooks, Aleah Farris


These girls are best of friends. 



Saturday (Halloween day) was pretty busy with Kate's jazz band festival and Ty's football game and normal Satruday chores.  We finally got around to carving pumpkins at 3:00.  Kate got everything set up.  Jack and Ty gave up after a little while since Jon was over here playing with them.  

Ty chose his pattern, a bat, and I carved it for him.  I did easy faces for Jack and Nick's.  Nick thought it was great and kept talking about how his pumpkin had ears.  

Kate did a great job on her cat!  
 \
It was fun to carve the pumpkins that we grew in the garden. They were pretty easy to carve because they've been picked for a month now and we already had to throw eight or so away because they were rotting before we even picked them.

Nick fell asleep on the way to buy doughnuts at Krispy Kreme with Dave at 5:00.  I thought he'd wake up and want to go trick-or-treating.  He did wake up, but he wasn't happy, so he went back to sleep on the couch.  
Dave took the boys trick or treating with Blake Farris and his boys, Jackson, Weston, and Ty.  Aleah and Kate went around the neighborhood together without the boys.  Our neighborhood doesn't have streetlights, so it was pretty dark, so the kids were extra careful.  They got plenty of candy and even some full-size candy bars.

I stayed home and handed out candy.  It was fun to see kids from church come.  I gave everyone two pieces of candy, hoping that I'd get rid of it.  I bought way too much.  Nick woke up and I took him outside to see the jack-o-lanterns.  He said, "Let's go stand back inside." because it was raining and cold.  So we did!  He didn't care that he missed trick-or-treating.

The Farris family all came over after trick or treating.  Amber brought hot chocolate.  I'd made taco soup and hot dog mummies for dinner.  We had Krispy Kreme doughnuts instead of making our traditional doughnuts.  The kids played, mostly Lego wars (throwing legos at each other???) and then cleaned up while the parents and Aleah and Kate chatted.  The kids counted and organized their candy and ate plenty.

No comments: