Friday, April 1, 2011

Hiking to the Rio Grande

Today was the last day of Kate's Spring Break, so Dave took the day off.  We decided to hike from Overlook Park in White Rock down to the Rio Grande.

It's quite the hike -- straight down and then straight back up.  Well, I guess it's not straight since the trail is pretty much all switchbacks.  On the way down Jack told me how much fun he has having.  I'm pretty sure he fell 30 times on the way to the river and maybe 5 times on the way back up.

A little way down the trail.
We found a little place to eat our picnic lunch by the river and piles of horse poop.  (I guess we were too hungry to smile in this picture.)
Then we played in the water.  It was really hot, so the water felt great!
The kids loved playing in the mud and throwing rocks into the river.

Dave rinsed Jack off in the water before we left.  He got even more muddy after I took this picture.
The boys on the hike back up.  Ty fell asleep in the backpack.
Kate was a great hiker on the way back up the hill.  No complaining!  She was the trail leader.
We made it to the top!  You can see the river in the distance. 
It was quite the hike, but really fun!  Next time I'll bring a lot more water and not leave the sunscreen in the car.  Maybe the kids will even wear swimsuits to mud bathe in.

No comments: