Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Yummy Grass

We've had lots and lots of deer in our yard since we've planted our grass.  They are really great at ripping up the soft soil with their hooves when they walk around or run away (if we scare them).  Now that our backyard grass is a little more established, the deer are coming to lounge on it and nibble away.

This morning I looked out the window and there were six deer in the backyard.  I think there were three does and three fawns or maybe it was two does and four fawns.  I don't know...I got out the camera and tried to be sneaky, but I scared them away.


 I know this isn't the greatest picture, but I love seeing two fawns together.  They're so little!
 I'm really scary.  Look at the fear in that deer. :)


This is our side yard.  A really big buck walked up and down several times and then camped out under our deck.  Some of these tracks are deep.  He's a lot heavier than your average deer.
I'll be glad when our grass isn't so delicate and we can all go play on it.  I'm a little jealous that the deer are out enjoying the backyard while we haven't walked on it in a month.  

We've had a lot of bunnies in the backyard too.  The kids and I throw ice cubes at them to get them off the grass.  Aren't we nice?

2 comments:

meg.. said...

Get a bunch of bucks in your yard, and they'll just stare at you while you take pictures. We had 4 today, and the biggest one is still sitting under our big apricot tree.

Natalie said...

Your yard looks amazing! The grass looks like a golf course--not the Los Alamos Golf Course--a really nice one. That's cool that you got some pictures of the fawns close up. I bet the kids like having their own pet deer in the back yard!