Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Any Good Reads?

Have you read any good books lately? If so, feel free to comment with the title and author. I love to read but I never know what to read that would be worth my time. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

mags said...

I just read this book called, Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale, (not what you would think) it was really good. Also I have heard that I need to read the Kite Runner, I am working up the courage, I hate to cry.

Melinda said...

I read Princess Academy and the Goose Girl, also by Shannon Hale while I was waiting to find out if I was pregnant with Anders. I wanted books to take my mind off the big question, and these books were just what I needed to take me away. I second Maggie's endorsement, and The Goose Girl is really good too and has a couple of sequels if you want to keep reading.
If you're looking for a good classic and you haven't read Jane Eyre, you should. It would make a great book club selection.
My last suggestions are books I haven't read, but are on my list since I saw the BBC productions. They are both by Elizabeth Gaskell (contemporary and friend of Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens). The first is "North and South" which is a bit like "Pride and Prejudice" but a little grittier in its examination of social issues. The second is "Wives and Daughters". Whether you read them or not, I highly recommend watching the BBC movies. They are very romantic...Dave will probably not watch with you!

annelisa said...

I really enjoyed Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. I read Crown Duel the 3 days I was in the hospital over Christmas, and finished the 2nd in Vancouver. I think I told you about them. They were very good. I just barely finished The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It was really good. I started its sequel The Queen of Atolia and then there is The King of Atolia. I also have I Capture the Castle as soon as I finish the others. I have heard good things about that one too. For book club this month we are reading 1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. My sister loved it as have a few other people I know. I loved The Kite Runner so I am pretty sure I will like this one too. I have a whole list of the ones we will be reading for book club. I will email it to you sometime. Hope these help.

annelisa said...

I really enjoyed Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. I read Crown Duel the 3 days I was in the hospital over Christmas, and finished the 2nd in Vancouver. I think I told you about them. They were very good. I just barely finished The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It was really good. I started its sequel The Queen of Atolia and then there is The King of Atolia. I also have I Capture the Castle as soon as I finish the others. I have heard good things about that one too. For book club this month we are reading 1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. My sister loved it as have a few other people I know. I loved The Kite Runner so I am pretty sure I will like this one too. I have a whole list of the ones we will be reading for book club. I will email it to you sometime. Hope these help.