Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quick Trip and Soccer

We went to Utah over the long weekend (Friday was Dave's Friday off and he had Columbus Day off too). We left after soccer practice (around 7:30 pm) on Thursday night and arrived in Castle Dale at about 3:30 am.
Here are some things I learned during our trip:
  1. Jack gets carsick (he threw up twice within the first 30 minutes of our drive). Great!
  2. I should never drive long distances after dark because I can't stay awake (Dave did a great job staying awake and driving) and I can't see so well in the dark.
  3. Gas prices in NM are so much better than in Utah ($2.91 compared to $3.65).

We spent a few days helping Vaughn & Marianne winterize stuff and take care of their garden. Melinda and Norm came to Castle Dale too. It was great seeing everyone. Marianne, Melinda and I made applesauce and I dried some apples to bring home. I am excited to eat all the freshly dug potatoes, and tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers from their garden. And, my parents loaded us up with a cooler full of beef, so now we don't have to eat so much chicken! Thanks everyone for sharing with us!

On Sunday we drove over the mountain (on snowy roads -- I can't believe it actually snowed!) and went to church with my family. It was great seeing them for a little while. My little brother, Steven, came home too. I'm glad we got to see everyone on our short trip to Utah.

We drove home yesterday during the day. The kids did really well in the car. The trip is so much more interesting in the daylight. My kids are going through grandparent withdrawal today.

Anyway...Here are a few pics from our visit with my parents and siblings. I forgot my camera, so I took these pictures from my mom's blog (thanks Mom!). And, I didn't take any pictures with Melinda & her kids or Dave's parents. I don't know why. It's silly, because I take my camera to the park here, but I don't take any pictures when something exciting is going on. Oh well.

Aunt Em with Kate & Jack

Jack & GrandpaGrandma & kids
Me & my little siblings (okay, not little, maybe I should say younger siblings)

Jack loves Grandma Judi's cat only if there is a piece of glass between the two of them.
SOCCER is over...
Here are some pictures from our last practice last Thursday. We had a team season-end pizza party tonight to celebrate our "season". I don't know if it really was a season, since the kids only have practices, no games.
Coach Dave with Kate

The Team in action (Kate is in the middle with the pigtails)

Our team picture (all the parents were amazed at how long the kids held still for the picture -- they don't have the longest attentions span. Yep, Dave coached 8 four-year-olds. Brave guy!)

Good lookin' coach

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Jenny, you're such a trooper. Good job on making it to UT and back.

Michal Thompson said...

wow, you are brave! I too am the worst night driver, but I hate having to entertain kids during the day. Way to go Dave!

mags said...

you are so cute, i love that bright pink color on you. sorry about jack! is puke the greatest?

Marianne said...

Thanks for coming. You didn't mention all the work you did, digging and weeding so that David could rototill the garden. It was great to have your help.

Kristen said...

Wow. What a quick and busy trip! It was fun to see your family with your parents and siblings. I can't believ how much Emmalee looks like Elissa!!! Wow. And Steven is so handsome . . . and TALL! Looks like you had fun!

Melinda said...

Yes, it appears that the comment problem was a user problem (me!) As I started to shut down my computer, I finally noticed the pop-up window for comments! Anyway, I love the family pictures, though Dave could look a little more cheerful! What a handsome soccer coach Kate had.