
Last night we had a great Enrichment meeting. Daryl Hoole gave us 15 "Little Things That Make a Big Difference" tips. Sis. Hoole is an amazing woman and a wonderful homemaker. She has written several books and has spoken at Education week and lots of other places.I've been a little frustrated with trying to keep my house organized and clean and still have time to play with the kids and do everything else that I need and want to do. Sis. Hoole's tips are just what I needed.
Here are a few of the tips that really helped me:
**No meals on wheels. (Only eat at the table. Then the mess is contained and you don't have food crumbs all over the whole house.)
**Make the moment count: Clean as you go, wipe as you work, pick up as you pass, put it away rather than put it down, look back as you leave.
** Clutter attracts clutter -- messes multiply.
**Assign a "home" to everything.
**Do today's work today. Mom is the home's cornerstone -- it's important that she take time for herself (exercise, shower, hair, makeup) before taking care of the home's foundation. Foundation -- making beds, picking up, wiping off, etc.
**Skim before you scour.
**Toys are not part of the clutter. I'm responsible for keeping the rest of the house clean and organized, but having toys on the floor doesn't make me a bad homemaker.
If you go to Daryl's website theartofhomemaking.com she has some great articles and other tips.
7 comments:
Thanks for the tips! I know I need them:) Where are you living now?
Amen! Don't you feel like you are ALWAYS cleaning and yet the house is still not clean? Sister Hoole really does have the system down. Someday when I grow up, I hope I can get all the 15 tips mastered.
My friend Audrey shared this quote with me. "Cleaning your house while your kids are growing, is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing". I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that.
I like what she says about finding a "home" for everything. I really need to do that.
Seems like you have quite the ward Jenny. First Elder Oaks and now Daryl Hoole. Crazy.
I went to her website when you told me about the nativity puppets that she has instructions for on her site. I liked a lot of the things she talked about. I think it was after I read through her website that I bought a half-apron with two big pockets and room for a pen (I actually put a Tide-to-go pen in the pen slot). I wear it when cleaning the house and I pick things up as I go and put it in the pockets to put away when I get to the room that it goes it. Big time saver, and it has spared my poor pants pockets from being overstuffed. It's also great for holding the phone/iPod, etc. while I move around the house.
Cable is great as far as kids shows go, but with sports, I think I could die. Those tips are great, however, I feel like I do most of them and yet I still feel always behind! I think I could do better with the one about taking time for yourself first.
Post a Comment