Well, today I took Jack to the doctor . . . again. He has been sick so much in his short little life. So, I know it's not really that much compared to people with serious illnesses, but it seems like he's been sick a lot. Anyway...
On the way to the doctor I was wondering if I was going for another wasted visit where the doctor says that whatever he has will go away on it's own and then we leave. I took him in because he was kind of wheezing and has a nasty cough. He's had a runny nose for a week or so, but I just thought that it was allergies. But today we got to come home with lots of stuff: meds for an ear infection, some steriods, and an albuterol inhaler. What fun stuff!
Anyway...So the highlight of our visit to the doctor was when I got to try to hold an albuterol mask on Jack's face for five minutes so he could breathe in the mist. Have you ever tried to hold a mask over a flailing-wiggling-squirming-hitting-kicking two-year-old's mouth? Not so easy. Things were flying off of the mask during our struggle. It was kind of traumatic for Jack. But at least it helped open his airway a bit.
This is what we get to do at home. Obviously that's not Jack and I wish that Jack would hold still like this. 

Well, that was our exciting afternoon. I'm sure there will be more wiggling-squirming fights in the days to come. Hopefully he gets feeling better soon. Poor kid.
4 comments:
We had to do that same thing with Katelyn when she was a little baby. I'm sure it is a lot easier when they are younger. Good luck!
That sure stinks that he's sick again! Hopefully he'll get used to the medicine so it's not so much of a wrestling match every time that he has to have the albuterol. Hope he gets feeling better soon, and I hope you have a great mothers day tomorrow!
This is what my life and a child life specialist is all about. Trying to get those kids to hold still and understand so that it isn't traumatic!!
I hope he gets feeling better. Actually I hope you are OK. I find that sick kids are often just as hard on the mother. Hang in there!
btw: Just getting Carter to brush his teeth is WWE wresting, I can't imagine trying to get a mask on him. I admire your patience!
Post a Comment