It's been raining today, so all afternoon I was thinking of what I could make for dinner so it would be ready after we got home from picking Dave up from work (since he walked). I decided to make some white chili (my favorite, Annelisa's recipe). It was ready and on low on the stove, the table was set, the chips were out, everything was ready so when we got home from getting Dave we could eat right away. I put the kids in the car and then remembered that the chili was still on low. So I ran inside and turned the stove off.
Or so I thought. When we got home I smelled something that made me realize that I didn't turn the stove off. The knob was between off and high. Oops! The chili was very crispy on the bottom and our house was very stinky.
We were planning on going to the mall to pick up the kids pictures from Sears after dinner, so Dave suggested (very sweet of him) that we go to Panda for dinner instead. So, the burnt chili is now in the garbage outside and we had a good dinner of orange chicken, but man does our house stink. I've been trying to air it out but it's a little chilly outside, so I've been spraying a little lysol. Candles just make it smell worse. So, hopefully the stink goes away soon.
Dave keeps teasing me about burning it, but all I can say is that I haven't ruined dinner very many times in our almost seven years of marriage. Most of the time it turns out fine. Although I do have a big problem of burning garlic cheese bread. That's another story...
7 comments:
The burnt food smell IS so hard to get rid of. Trust me, I've burnt too many dinners. Most recently last week actually. At least you didn't start a fire. We like to tease my mom because I think she's started fires with maybe 3 toasters. The most memorable was the time she just unplugged it and threw it out into the snow. So... even though dinner was a tad overdone, at least you didn't start a fire! :)
What a good boy that dave is, coming to the rescue with Panda! I think you should burn dinner on purpose next time!
(jk that is totally dishonest, but funny.)
One of my good friends left something on the stove while she stepped out to get the mail with her baby. When she got back to her door, it was locked and the pot on the stove started to smoke after a few minutes. She called the fire department and eventually found her landlord who opened the door for the firemen. Nothing was damaged but her pride and her house smelled bad for a week. She had to steam clean her furniture to get the smell out. I'm glad the result was a nice dinner at Panda! I hope it warms up soon so you can air out the house!
I just love reading your blog!! Can I get the white chili recipe from you?? Where is the cinderalla park anyway. Never heard of that one.
Hey I'm proud of you for making dinner as often as you do! That's an accomplishment!! So what if maybe it was overcooked/burned! :)
I know you are a good cook, so this is a rare occasion for you FOR SURE! I hate random things like that, especially when you put a lot of thought and effort into it.
At least you got some Panda!
Jenny, you are the greatest cook I know, so don't feel bad. And how sweet of David to take you to Panda. (Where did that come from?) The one time I really ruined dinner, Vaughn took us to McDonalds. That was a long time ago. Now he would probably say that "don't worry. I'll find something on my own." Marianne
Post a Comment