Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry

I just finished this book, Mitten Strings for God, Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison and I thought it was blog-worthy. Since most of us die-hard bloggers are mothers I thought I'd share a little about this book with you. It has made me realize how I can be a better mother by taking time to enjoy childhood with my kids, by being there with them and helping make their days fun and even magical.

Here's a little excerpt from the book that I read this afternoon that I love, "We tend to be so focused on efficiency and convenience that we forget to invite our children to share in life's messy or inconvenient pleasures: finger paints, late-night fireworks, mud puddles, the sunrise, baking a cake. The pure joy of a moment fully lived is more precious than clean hands, an hour of lost sleep, dry shoes, or a perfect dessert."

I highly recommend this book to all mothers. I really enjoyed it and will probably need to read it again to remind myself of what my role of a mother is.

7 comments:

mags said...

I recently had an epiphany about this very subject. One night Austin got up @ 4 am with a cough, after helping to take care of it I looked out his window and saw the northern lights. I got him out of bed and we watched them for a few minutes. I kept thinking, "he's sick, I should be making him sleep," but we watched a little longer. Finally I told him to go to bed and he put his little hands on my face and said, "thanks for showing me the stars mom." I will never forget that moment, but I've already forgotten if I was tired the next day or not.

Tiffany said...

This sounds like a great book! I will have to check it out! I'm all about the mud puddles and finger paint!

Cammie said...

Thanks for the book suggestion and the reminder. I get caught up in the day-to-day maintenance, and sometimes forget to do the funny messy things.

AnneMarie said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I'm excited for Kate to celebrate her big day!

The Schramm Family said...

Thanks for the post on this book. I will need to read it. Sounds like a good one!
Later

Meagan said...

Thanks for that. I'll have to read it. I need to try to be more of a kid with Brooklyn. Maybe I will get out that playdough.

Michal Thompson said...

I just need to find time to read first. I really want to do more of that. We love Hires! And how is 5am? I would never be able to do that. Way to go. The ankle- they really do take a long time to heal. And since it is hard to really give them a break it takes so much longer. Just don't get back into running until you are sure you are okay because it will reinjure. Good luck!